An Exorbitant Water Bill Based on Non-Existent Readings


I loved Bulgaria. As long as I didn’t have troubles, I was happy here. 
Then I broke my arm – not the country’s fault, of course. Having appropriate medical attention, though… My brother was worried for me when I moved here for this reason, but I told him that I hadn’t needed a doctor for the last 15 years and I wouldn’t start now. 
It’s like the universe decided to teach me a lesson. Another one. Like my life until then was all roses and chocolate. Then another one and another one, so on and so forth. We all know that one problem never comes alone. 
It was clear that someone up there seemed to forget that I was going through menopause, experiencing pain internally and externally. Chaos. My body and mind were an absolute mess, and I needed to find a way to cool down. I kept it all together, when my brain wasn’t lost in a thick fog.

Regardless, life in Bulgaria became increasingly challenging starting in June. 
God forbid you have an issue that needs fixing, especially if you’re not the one who created it and have no idea what to do.

I did my absolute best to focus on the positives, but problem after problem after problem diminished my love for this beautiful country with its idyllic landscapes.

I was alone because I wanted to be alone. I had been longing for it since I can remember. 
The complex fracture of my right hand opened a Pandora’s box. 
I won’t bore you with countless misfits; what I’ll tell you about is the absurd issue I have been forced to deal with these last three weeks.

I pay my bills regularly, as I mentioned in another blog (click). Punctual, as soon as I get them. Never in my life one passed the deadline. Electricity and mobile phone internet contract in Bulgaria.

Due to my reluctance to go out and deal with people who speak a language I do not understand, I postponed finding out how and when to pay the water bill.

Then a call came in November 2023, urging me to pay the outstanding water bill. I managed to find my credentials to log in online on the website in „my account” and made the payment: 83 leva (around 40 euros) for an estimated 22 m3.

It wasn't easy, quite the opposite. Not at all an intuitive process. And I am used to these things since I am a blogger dealing with online shopping and payments for 25 years. 

water splash on dark background



For my first water bill, I thought it was excessive, but given the fact that I didn't provide accurate water meter readings, I didn't complain. I assumed that I wouldn't be asked to pay for another year, at least, since my actual water consumption was only 6 m3 for 6 months, averaging 1 m3 per month.

But when I provided my current water meter readings after paying 83 leva, another bill was issued in my name, and it displayed a staggering figure of 445 leva. I nearly had a heart attack. Never in my life had I felt a slap in the face harder from the universe.

I am extremely careful with my consumption—electricity, gas, water, everything. As a struggling writer, I can't afford bills like that. My friends and family laugh at the way I save, but I do it not only because I struggle but also for the planet.

The irony and the absurdity of this is difficult to put in a few words.

I asked friends to call and help fix this. 
I provided accurate readings in April 2023, and the previous owner of this contract paid all his bills in front of my eyes. 
Where are these 119 m3 of water consumption coming from?
No plausible answer.

I went to the office with all my documentation again. They checked, and there were no readings on the system. They asked if my pipes had leaked water.

When I showed them the picture of the water meter reading in April, they asked if someone had tampered with it since they had no such readings. 
I said: ”I provided them. Three people were present when the bills were settled and the contract was transferred: the employee, the previous owner, and I.”

„What happened? Can you please fix this? I am wasting too much time and energy I do not have. It’s been a bad year for me; please help me. I have nose haemorrhages and speak in my sleep. That if I get any sleep. Nightmares.”

„If you want this problem to disappear, pay the bill.”

That’s what the employee said, bluntly, in a kind voice. As if it was just 1 leva and I earned billions.

„But since April until now, I’ve used only 6 m3 of water and yet paid 83 leva.” 
 „What is this bill? For what? How many years back does this go? The ex-owner paid his bills. 
What is going on?”

They had absolutely no answer. 

They admitted that something is amiss, but the only solution offered to me is to pay the 445 leva bill. Nobody tried to fix anything. Nobody was impressed with my logic.

„A bill cannot be erased.” 
But how did they come up with such readings if none were input into the systems? 

That minute, I made a promise to myself that I will fight this, even if it meant that it would be the last thing I do. 
For the past week, I have been researching Bulgarian law and writing emails to the local water office and the main office. I am preparing to send an email to the Commission for Water Regulation since no reply was provided. 
If they don’t help, I will write to the European Commission, to the president if I have to. 
I will contact the press. 
Televisions, radios. 

I will die trying to fix this absurd situation that somebody else created, God only knows how and why, and put on my shoulders.
How can this be happening in the year 2023? 
Why? 

The irony of the irony is the fact that where I live, roadworks started in April, and since then, there have been countless water cuts. Daily almost. 
I went weeks without water. In August, for 20 consecutive days, I couldn’t have a shower or wash my clothes unless I woke up in the night, and that was only possible if my neighbours didn’t use it all before me. It’s a summer sea location - the most affected.  
Every month, we experience water cuts, lasting from 5 (probably more) to 15 days. The most recent ones occurred on the 19th and 22nd of November. 
The Facebook page is filled with such testimonials. I refrained from participating or leaving comments. It all felt paltry. I don't like scandals. I can't deal with hate and negativity. 
I yearn for peace.

Bulgarians witness the cruel reality, countless injustices, corruption as in many other countries, even advanced ones. They are upset and complain, but only among themselves. They are somehow resigned to the fact that nobody cares.

As I mentioned, even the 83 leva bill seemed exorbitant to me. On top of everything, since I was away for over a month and saving drastically, even the 6 m3 registered by my water meter I strongly suspect is not accurate.

My boiler empties every time there is a water cut, and when the water comes back and my boiler fills with water, my water meter registers that water—water that I didn’t have time to use.

I've noticed this from the start, because of the noise it makes – you can’t miss it, it drives a creative mind insane – but since I don’t understand how this actually works, I didn’t pay much attention until now when I started documenting it all. 
If it’s true that my water meter registers twice or three times a day—depending on if they tamper with the water—how many of these 6 m3 have been actually used by me? 

And they want me to pay a water bill based on imaginary readings dated years ago when I was living in England and Romania? 

What in the world? 
How can this happen? 

I really have no clue how we got to this point. 
  • Where are the readings the ex-owner and I provided in April? 
  • If they were not input into the system, how was the ex-owner able to pay?
  • Based on what readings did he settle the last bills? I witnessed that. I have those bills.
  • Was the system reset?
  • Was data erased or lost due to a bug or human error?
It’s a silly thing, I know, but given all that happened this year, contrary to expectations and against justice, fairness, honesty, and humanity I am upset and I want answers.

People living in other countries where things like this never happened tell me that it’s an easy issue to fix: 
„Don’t be silly, you provided readings, you have proof, there is nothing to worry about. Just ask them, explain, and this will get fixed. You won’t need a lawyer; you have proof. The law is on your side. They can’t force you to pay this; in fact, they will give you the money back and offer extensive apologies. You are menopausing; you see everything like an impossible situation. Relax! Trust the system. You don’t live in the Far West."
I look at them and think: „I must be crazy then since the reality is different. My reality has presented me a preposterous water bill based on… not even they know what it is based on." 
That's precisely why I am meticulously documenting this. 
Nothing makes sense. Absolutely nothing!  
Never in my life did I envision finding myself in such a perplexing situation. I have far more meaningful things to occupy my life with, yet they've trampled on my dignity and expect me to bow and pay.

I want to make it clear that, had it been 1 leva, I would have paid without a second thought. Even 50 leva. Just to make it all go away, so I can focus on my writing. But the exorbitant amount of 445 leva is beyond reason.

I would have never complained or bothered to document such trivial matters if it weren't for the unjust magnitude of this situation.

if something happens to me or my place, if the water gets cut, the electricity, or if other issues arise out of nowhere, you all know why. It’s not Ukraine, Russia, Israel; it’s Bulgaria. 
A seemingly small thing, but it got on my nerves. #My serenity matters.

If you know a lawyer who would like to get to the root of this, please, don’t hesitate to get in touch. Other people will benefit from solving this. 

Thank you. 

PS: If you are Bulgarian, please do not get offended. I am not here to criticize, but to seek justice in my personal case. I have the right to fight for it, and in doing so, I am also fighting for you.

It's my serenity, my money, my work. My life. 

white and red lighthouse on a blue background icon

Thank you for taking the time to check out my ideas. I'm genuinely honored to have the chance to share some thoughts with you.

Check my Amazon author profile by clicking here to see my books signed with Cristina G. or here to find my books signed with Cristina Gherghel.

Here are my Goodreads author profile where you can explore and discover my work. 

Credit video, audio and pictures: most are mine, some are from Pixabay, some other are from PNGtree


Post a Comment

If your words lack kindness, silence is golden.

Previous Post Next Post